ENGD3106 Mobile Communication 2
Simulation of multiple-antenna systems
Issue date: 20/01/2020
Submission deadline: 20/03/2020
Feedback date: 24/04/2020
Aim: In this assignment, you will use Matlab to simulate multiple-antenna communication systems that satisfies the requirements given in the tasks below.
What to submit: Your coursework must be submitted as a report in Word format to Turnitin. All Matlab scripts used must be included in an appendix at the end of the report. This includes all additional functions you have written as part of your code (if any). Your Matlab code must be well-commented and documented. All references must be in IEEE format. Please note that 5 marks will be allocated to the presentation and organisation of your report.
- Assume a single-input single-output (SISO) system operates at 24 GHz with a line-of-sight channel between the transmitter (Tx) and the receiver (Rx).
Write a Matlab script that simulates a transmission of a randomly generated data over an AWGN channel using the three modulation techniques of LTE (4G), i.e. QPSK, 16-QAM and 64-QAM. Plot and compare the BER of these modulation techniques as a function of the energy per bit to noise power spectral density ratio (Eb/N0) for an AWGN channel. Discuss and analyse your results.
- Assume the Rx array in SIMO is a 4-element uniform linear array (ULA) with half-wavelength spacing
- Assume the Tx array in MISO is a 4-element ULA with half-wavelength spacing
- Assume a MIMO system with a 4-element ULA Tx array and a 4-element ULA Rx array all with half-wavelength spacing.
Discuss and analyse your results
- Considering a multipath fading channel, demonstrate the diversity gain in multiple-antenna systems by comparing the BER of the SISO system with that of SIMO, MISO, and MIMO systems.
- Research the literature to review different beamforming techniques for massive MIMO systems in 5G communication systems. Your answer needs to provide
- A brief description of beamforming highlighting its different techniques and their requirements
- A discussion of the importance of massive MIMO beamforming in 5G systems
- A brief analysis of the current advances in beamforming
Your answer should be supported by recognised publications, preferably from IEEE, that are cited properly using the IEEE referencing style.
End of Assignment