Following up on our check-in, I have collected some materials to get you started.
- Style transfer Keras guide (link): This page has complete code to run style transfer. Unfortunately, the coding concepts it uses are quite a bit different than what we have learned about so far.
- Attached .py file: I have simplified the code from #1 a bit in the attached .py file. This should be more manageable and a good place to start. The parts you should focus on understanding are the various inputs, hyperparameters, and losses. The details of the implementation are important but secondary.
- Papers: Have a look at the these two papers to get an understanding for the model being implemented in the code. Focus on understanding the intuition and the role of the various losses.
- “A Neural Algorithm of Artistic Style” (Gatys et al): The earlier of the two papers (only uses style and content losses)
- “Perceptual Losses for Real-Time Style Transfer
and Super-Resolution” (Johnson et al): The second paper, also discusses the total variation loss
- Tutorial (link): A tutorial video on style transfer. The code presented will not work on current tensorflow versions but the presenter gives a good overview of how this style of code works and which parts are most important.